Monday, February 18, 2008

The Truth about Busyness

As I read Miles Stanford's The Green Letters this morning, I came across a profound thought. So many times we see busyness as evidence that we are doing the work of God - in reality, busyness is a way to prevent growth.

Amazingly enough, I'd never really thought about why I keep myself busy or the problems that it can cause. But the more I thought about what Stanford penned, the more I saw its truth. Nothing grows while its moving - growth happens in stillness. That's when roots can grow deep, searching for nourishment and creating a strong foundation. Busyness prevents reflections.

Busyness is such a product of American society. We've created so many facets of technology and modern conveniences that are supposed to save us time. Rather than use that saved time for relaxation, building relationships, exploring new friendships, I find myself working more and relaxing less. I've saved time so that I can do more work - how in the world is that logical.

So I'm making efforts to be more prayerful, more selective about the things I do. God's created me as a specific being with specific talents and abilities. If I do everything, not only am I not doing what I'm intended, I'm actually preventing others from using their gifts and busyness. And that's the truth.

No comments: