Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Time Travel

Today I have my iPod on shuffle - its funny how specific songs take me back to a time and place.

The first time I heard Jonathan David Helser, I was on my way back from Lawerence after hearing a lecture by Rob Bell. Helser's flowing vocals and instrumental sections allowed me to continue pondering Bell's topic that evening (mountain top experiences and string theory - lovely!) even as I listened. When "Inheritance" played, it seemed like a perfect wrap up to that evening. It's a reminder that while nothing I do can increase God's love for me, its also true that nothing I do can ever decrease his love for me. Don't get me wrong, there are clear consequences outlined for wrong choices, but God's great love never falters.

Leaning against a car window, looking at the stars that night, I remembered the many blessings God had already given me, and began looking forward to what the future held. Nothing has turned out as expected, but God's love for me has never been more clear than it is today.

That was probably a good four years ago now, yet every time I hear the song (and the lecture that plays in the midst), I remember once more the goodness of my Lord and dream of the future.

So yeah, I most definitely believe in time travel.

No comments: