Monday, October 4, 2010

Learn to Rest

Resting is not something that comes naturally to me - whether it be physical or mental rest. This year has been one of growth for me on many levels, and discovering my learning process is just one of them. This weekend I realized once again how bad I am about hearing my body ask to rest.

I like to live a fairly organized life - not so much on a set schedule but with set tasks to accomplish in one day. Last Saturday's task was to caulk the windows and doors of my home as preparation to paint this coming weekend. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I wasn't feeling motivated and was moving terribly slow. About 3pm I finished working and realized I had the dreaded flu. Spent the rest of the evening on the couch with Eureka Season 1 via Netflix Instant Streaming and cups of chicken broth and hot tea.

As I contemplated that rest this morning, I realized its what my body wanted all along. I tend to push and push to get things done, forgetting to relax and enjoy the results of projects along the way.

No comments: