Friday, October 1, 2010

House Painting - week 1

So yeah, its been 3 months but I'd rather be outside during the summer months than indoors blogging. I've been gardening, canning, building, exploring, having all sorts of in the city adventures. No worries - I'll fill you in as the months progress. My fall interior projects lend themselves to photos/descriptions of my summer.

My big fall outdoor project this year: paint the house. There were some places around my front window that were clearly damaged, and the idea of waiting until spring to fix it just didn't sit well with me. Last weekend my amazing bro-in-law Jesse Bowman (@redbowman) and I scrapped the exterior and removed the damaged portions. Seeing the exposed wood was a heartstopping/slightly overwhelming moment for me, but Jess was quick to assure me it could have been much worse.

My fear of heights is pretty real (I've lost count of the number of times I've fallen on my back), so Jess scrapped the top and I scrapped the bottom. Miss Sumatra kept her eyes on us and did not approve of the loud noise in the home while we worked! Next up, patching holes and caulking window, then painting can begin. I love the colors I've chosen and can't wait to see how they turn out.

As part of this project I've also installed a new exterior light fixture - wiring it up myself! - and a new mailbox. I have a few other ideas for 'accessories', but those will depend upon my project budget. I'm still on track to be debt free (except the house) come spring, and I can't wait for that day!

No comments: