Thursday, July 22, 2010

Garden Update

Here's my lovely garden in the steamy July weather! I had to give you a wide shot first because I just love the way its laid out. All the time I spent planning and sketching over the winter was really worth it. This fall I'll going to build a couple smaller beds for greens to go under the arches, and I'm planning to plant mums in the corners. That marigolds are doing their job (keeping bunnies at bay!) and a splash of color out there while the leaves are changing will be just lovely.

My tomato plants are massive! Last year they weren't all that successful, so I purchased the smaller tomato stands - ha! Next year those will be used for the pepper patch - those plants were struggling but are finally going. Next year they'll be in a more shady patch and I think I'll have better luck. I love the smell of tomato plants - reminds me of summer in my childhood. Dad had a huge garden in our backyard and the second row was pure tomatoes. There is nothing like the taste of a warm tomato you dust off and eat while examining the bounty. I seriously feel sorry for non-tomato eaters. The Mortgage Lifters and Brandywines are turning and they are HUGE! Can't wait to make fresh salsas and sauces using all garden grown ingredients (basil, garlic, oregano, lovely!)

The cucumbers are really taking off, and I just love the way they vine around the arches. Its almost a game for me to examine the plants in the morning, over lunch, and in the evenings. The tendrils grow that quickly, seeking new places to latch onto the trellis and are all over the place! I spotted the first cuke yesterday and got so excited I think I scared Miss Sumatra a bit. I have tons of blossoms and I'm really hopeful that I'll get lots of dill pickles made this fall - I'm on my last jar from last season!

And finally - here's the zucchini plants. They are loving this weather and are starting to spread outside their box. Just such an event is exactly why I planned pathways in my garden. They are spreading backwards to the rather sad pepper patch, so its not too worrisome as yet. This is another vegetable for which I have found memories. Mom made so much zucchini bread and muffins its amazing I still love it - but I do. It's also great pan seared with a bit of olive oil and lemon juice. Serve over rice for a hearty, healthy meal or snack.

No comments: