Sunday, November 21, 2010

An Art-full Weekend

It was a week filled with major (hard drive failure) and minor (what, no coffee beans in the house?!?) disasters - that ended on a high note. As I sat home Friday evening, trying to decide which of the downloadable classic Zelda games I'd purchase next, I received a timely IM from my dear friend Emily. Symphony tickets you say? Yes! I'd love to get dressed up and head out for a night on the town. And when I discovered that she'd never been before, well, that just made it all the more exciting.

I was lucky enough to receive quite a bit of arts exposure when I was young - school trips to the symphony, summer musicals at Starlight and Shawnee Mission Park, visits to the Nelson-Atkins Museum - and the realization that not everyone has that chance makes me a bit sad. It's difficult to express why the arts are so impactful - you just have to experience it. So go already!

Anyway. I was excited to find the Michael Stern would be conducting - I haven't had the chance to see him in action yet and his passion was awesome. He's a full body conductor, as much a part of the story telling process as the musicians. Each of the three pieces told an emotional story of romance - at times gentle and soothing but at others wild and dramatic. There's a need for both in life, right? Absolutely breathtaking and truly and evening to remember.

Saturday evening saw the debut of my darling niece, Miss Ella Grace, in a KCBT children's program. I was so thankful I could attend! She even had a solo near the beginning of the program, and gleefully sang to the joy of her happy parents and brother (and aunt of course). It's such an exciting thing that children in our church are exposed to arts opportunities, and I think she's one that will enjoy them for a lifetime. The fact that she gave me a bit of a shout out and wave from the stage, well, that's just a moment I wouldn't trade for anything.

A truly wonderful end to a rather stressful week - and the perfect way to kick-off some vacation time. Here's to a memorable Thanksgiving week!

No comments: