Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Quick Quiche

Brunches are lovely, so when my mornings are a bit more laid back I love to try out new recipes. I chose to make pies for Thanksgiving dinner this year - opting to purchase pie crusts since I've yet to conquer pastry making. Since I only needed one - this was the perfect chance to try a quiche! It also helped that I came across an amazing sale and picked up a great quiche pan for less than $3.00.

I was familiar with the basic ingredients for quiche, but just to ensure I used correct proportions I did a few recipe checks. Eggs, half and half (you can swap for milk, but as this is a splurge sort of dish I stick with the richness of half and half), veg, cheese, perhaps a meat (ham or bacon usually) all whipped together and poured into an unbaked shell. Forty-five minutes later I was enjoying this loveliness!

I used spinach, onions and Swiss cheese - it turned out so great I'm sure this dish will enter regular rotation. Next time I'll caramelize the onions first though, to add a bit more flavor. I'm also thinking that a Greek version would be amazing - think Feta cheese, red onions, green and red peppers ... mmm. A bit of fruit on the side and this makes a refreshing breakfast and a great treat for a cool fall morning.

No comments: