Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My RPG Obsession

Yes, I confess, I love a good RPG (role playing game). Every since the Legend of Zelda first arrived to the video game console I've been hooked. Terribly excited when we received that shiny gold tape (or cartridge if you prefer), I'd sit absorbed for hours of my pre-teen life in our dark basement either watching my elder brother play or working to defeat the next dungeon myself.

How quickly I learned that we should take turns based on real time, not "when I die next" (dratted fairy pools!).

If you've never played an RPG or find the draw of a 50+ hour game hard to believe, let me attempt to explain. These types of games are less about conquering levels and defeating big bosses. They revolve around a central story, use experience points to strengthen the character, and encompass a vast world. They are a natural fit for those of us that love lengthy novels (eg. The Wheel of Time series). As game systems have evolved so have the stories, characters, graphics, and overall enjoyment of the game experience.

Thanks in large part to the Zelda franchise, I will forever be a Nintendo gal. The Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, GameBoy, and Wii have been given me many hours of escapist pleasure. Along the way I also learned that its best for me to buy games when I can devote large amounts of time to them - I tend to think about how to locate the next key item or defeat a tough critter when I should be focused on church, conversations with live people, working, that sort of thing. Ha!

Since the latest release of my beloved Zelda was postponed (which could mean trouble for me come springtime), I picked up Final Fantasy The Crystal Bearers as my Christmas treat. When it comes to the RPG world FF is a great followup for Zelda - filled with the long form story I love, lots of magic action, but an intriguing mix of technology blended in as well.

While I found it hard to get into at first (lengthy story-movies when I'd rather be moving on already), I've clocked an embarrassing number of hours thus far and set a curfew of 10pm on work nights for myself. Ah for the days when I could play until 4am and no one would notice the next day. If you try to ring me and I don't pick up, rest assure all is well. Just helping Layle and his friends battle the forces of evil and bring about tribal unification.

No comments: