Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Adventures in Mulching

Garden projects are well under way, thanks to some lovely weather the past few weeks. I've been hard at work preparing beds and fighting weeds, and I knew that mulching was the next step. A few years back my sis and brother in law mentioned they'd bought mulch in bulk - sounded like a great plan to me. While the bags can be helpful, the plastic bag waste really annoyed me and I found it got a little expensive.

I did some web browsing and located Missouri Organic - a company just a few miles down the road from me near the Stadiums. Their site is super helpful, including a calculator to help estimate the amount you'll need for various bed shapes. It also contained a list of available mulches and explained the differences. When I saw an Erosion Control version, I knew this was the company for me. My yard slopes quite a bit from the backyard to the front road (one of these days I'd love to measure the angle!) and soil loss/standing water is a real issue when it rains. I happily calculated, then overestimated to ensure I could do some 'extra' projects as I had the time.

The dump truck arrived bright and early Monday with my 4.5 cubic yards of mulch. With delivery fees and tax it came to less than $100 - which is quite a deal if you do the math calc comparisons to bagged by the cubic foot mulch. Its even cheaper without the delivery fee, but seeing as how I don't own a dump truck this was perfect! Eight hours and a bit of help from my brother later I had all the beds on left side of my back yard finished - don't they look lovely? 


Next up is the vegetable garden - tonight I'll finish the edging so its ready to hold mulch tomorrow. This weekend I hope to lay edging around the right beds and/or the hammock bed (I have yet to determine which I'll do!). After that comes the front yard - and I'm guessing I have more than enough mulch to finish the work. The pile looks barely touched!

No comments: