Monday, May 3, 2010

Thinking about Family

I've been rather occupied with outdoor projects of late, and as I spray painted all the bits of metal in sight I couldn't help but think about one of my grandmother's. Mama Sue (my father's mother) was a Southern Lady in every sense of the word. She wore hose and heels her entire life - I never saw her in a pair of pants - and knew everyone in her small Arkansas town. There were many aspects of her life I found inspiring, but the one that may jumped out at me recently was her love of spray paint.

Seriously.

Childhood summer vacations always included a trip to Lepanto, Arkansas to visit Mama Sue. Oh my, the memories! Exploring back alleys, searching for frogs, playing in the sprawling yard - and examining the latest spray painted creation Mama Sue had added her to her collection. Nothing was safe - furniture, wood work, even those indoor potpourri ball-y things. It was one of the many ways she expressed her style (the spray paint often included glitter - gotta have that bling).

As I added the latest coat of spray paint to her chandelier that now sits in a prized place of my garden, I reminisced with lots of love on a lady that continues to urge me to boldly explore my own creative streak.

She also introduced me to coffee (aka 'boo-ley cool-ey") when I was 5 - but that's a story for another time.

No comments: