Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Torchwood

Outside the government, beyond the police. Fighting for the future on behalf of the human race. The 21st century is when everything changes - and we've got to be ready.

BBC America puts out some of my favorite shows. I first discovered the new Doctor Who on the Syfy Network, and when I heard about Torchwood I couldn't wait to check it out. Its a spin-off of Doctor Who that's set in Cardiff, England. Led by the rouge-ish Captain Jack Harkness, the team chases down aliens that have entered our world via The Rift - a split in the space-time continuum.

Thank goodness for my public library - they carry the DVD sets and I've loved every minute of this series. Gwen, Owen, Tashiko, and Ianto bring personality and life to the crazy world of Captain Jack. Gwen is clearly the heart of the team, doing her best to have a life outside a job that could easily consume her. Bits and pieces are revealed slowly about each character, and I'm thoroughly engaged through each episode. Plus, they drink more coffee than tea - that just makes me smile.

Torchwood consistently puts a new spin on standard sci-fi story lines such as time travel, alien pregnancy, abductions, and even resurrections. The characters drive the show - its truly a pleasure to watch each episode, and I've done my best to savor these first two seasons and not rush through them.

I've heard a rumor that a version of Torchwood might be made in the US, but I can't imagine it would be quite the same. Brits are accustomed to a completely different style of show and allow characters a bit more, err, freedom . . . Captain Jack just wouldn't be the same. We'll see what happens, I suppose.

No comments: