Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Dresden Files

The arrival of summer means a shortage of new television shows - which can be a good thing. I find its a great time to watch old series that I never gave a chance in its first go round. Having recently finished listening to Storm Front I thought I'd give the SyFy series The Dresden Files a shot.

It only ran for 12 episodes - never a good sign - but I was pleasantly surprised by the shows. When it initially aired I saw one episode, but by and large the ads didn't intrigue me enough to commit. The elements I'd found lacking in the novel were brought to life by the actors playing Dresden, Murphy, and Bob. The noir touches and Harry's first person narrative worked much better for me in the medium of television than they had in the novels.

The shows were intriguing enough to have me watching closely and I was even a bit sad when I realized the episodes were done. Maybe one of these days another developer will get a shot at serializing these novels, or even a movie deal. Hey, its happened before after all. Either way, this was definitely worth its addition to my Netflix instant streaming queue.

On to the next!

No comments: