Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Revisiting Old Friends

Sometimes picking up a book is like coming across an old friend unexpectedly. You know, it feels like no time has passed and memories begin flowing as you chat. That's exactly how I felt as I began listening to Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, one of my choices this month from Audible.

It's the second book in her Outlander series, but it was the first one I picked up about 20 years ago while I was still in high school. At the time I was more than obsessed with stories set in ancient Great Britain (Robin Hood, Arthurian legends and the like) - kilts, swords, and great adventures were a grand form of escapism. This book captured my attention. Set in the 1970's, the story utilizes the Standing Stones found throughout Great Britain as a means of time travel back 200 years to Scotland in the time of Bonnie Prince Charlie. After I read the copy from the library I quickly ran out and purchased my own, then eagerly awaited each new installment of the series.

The books are written in first person from Claire's persepective, and hearing them read by a woman with a British accent (Claire is English) gives a whole new layer to this epic story. I can clearly see each scene in my mind's eye and am once more captivated by Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser's century spanning love story.

Yes, that's right - while this is historical fiction there are definite romance novel scenes (which are most disconcerting when you hear them read sitting at work!). Their arguments are probably my favorite scenes, though - imagine a modern feminist clashing with an Highland warrior. Hysterical!

This is my favorite book in the series and at approximately 24 hours of reading it was definitely worth one of my Audible credits this month.

No comments: