Friday, June 18, 2010

Pondering the Downsides of Adulthood

Sometimes I don't enjoy being an adult. Friday morning as I sipped by Sumatra Mandheling from Benettis, I looked back on a rather rough week. Having made some tough decisions to keep myself in line with personal and financial goals, I found myself challenged in both realms.

Unauthorized activity in my account (twice!) forced me to speak rather roughly with CSRs. Since I was a CSR for a portion of my professional life, I try to be as friendly as possible. When I find them beginning their memorized speeches even though I've listed my issue, well, my tone shifts a bit. Both transactions are in the process of being corrected, but its forced me to delay a few payments. I prefer to pay things as soon as possible, not the last minute, so I find this rather annoying.

Then there was the neighborhood drama - one of which has been covered on the local news rather extensively.  The other was a home invasion across the street - where I actually saw the perps when I came home for lunch. Since the house recently sold I assumed it was just the new neighbors - found out later than evening how wrong I was. I live in an older part of Raytown which is usually pretty quiet, so these circumstances shook my mental standing just a bit.

The thing I'm learning about boundaries, though, is that as soon as they are in place they get tested. Whether those tests come from me, from random folk , or family, I have to decide if the boundary is important enough to hold or whether to make a gate. This week I'd give myself a C.

Adulthood means taking care of myself in all aspects with the abilities God has given me. More than ever I'm realizing that the people around me rather freely offer their opinions on my decisions/boundaries - and that I have to remain firm if I want to call myself an adult. This can be rather difficult - and maybe its just me, but I think that's because I'm single. When its just me and the Lord fighting these battles, to the outside observer I likely appear to need help - which may explain why those I love feel free to share unasked for advice. I'm learning and growing everyday, and I'm more than capable of asking for help when I'm overwhelmed.

Adulthood is a rough gig, but its better than staying a child in my parent's home forever.

No comments: