Thursday, June 10, 2010

Gazelle Like Intensity

Its Biggest Loser season at KCBT, and since I've found that goals are just about the only thing that keeps me motivated I put my name on the list. Little did I expect that I'd end up a team leader, much less create a mini-crisis by calling my team "Gazelle".

At the time the email went out I was listening the Dave Ramsey Show podcast. I went through Financial Peace University about three years ago with a group of KCBT College students, and to say it changed my life is an understatement. I'd never before understood the purpose of a budget, much less how to make one that actually would work. I've been working to get myself out of a few holes I dug, and this time next year I expect to be debt-free (except the house).

Dave challenges listeners to pay down debt with gazelle like intensity - what does that mean, you ask? You move really fast to accomplish your goal so those dratted lions don't eat you alive! Well, there are some lessons I just have to learn the hard way - paying back my debt at the same speed with which it accrued makes me desire more and more to never, ever put myself into this position again. As my goal gets closer, though, I find myself feeling a few more gazelle-like tendencies.


Anyway, back to Biggest Loser. "Gazelle" seemed like a great way to inspire myself on multiple levels; however, the prompt email flight revealed not everyone quite got to the connection. So when someone on the other team made a suggestion that I found hysterical, I made an executive decision and totally swiped it - feeling no guilt as it wasn't the team leader that suggested it/claimed it (yup, that's how I roll).

So Team 2 will hereafter be referred to as Los Perros de Martillo de Oro, and with gazelle-like intensity we will hammer at our healthy living goals with the tenacity of my pup, Miss Sumatra. Let the good times roll!

2 comments:

あじ said...

Being debt-free (minus the house) is fantastic. In fact, paying down the house (or at least getting rid of PMI: ouch!) will feel great, but won't happen nearly as fast as I would like.

Your dog is named after coffee?

Reba said...

Yup - she's named after my favorite blend from Benetti's!