Friday, April 30, 2010

Latest Obsession

I blame Erin Coleman - completely and totally - for my latest obsession.

She pointed me in The Pioneer Woman's direction, and before I knew it I was reading "Black Heels and Tractor Wheels" instead of watching TV. Yes, seriously. Its the tale of Ree Drummond's whirlwind romance to her husband, full of the drama you'd expect from a novel but not real life. I felt like a fly on the wall of her life, experiencing the emotional upheavals she openly presented to those who cared to read.

She posts about the ups and downs of living on an Oklahoma Cattle Ranch, including photos of the adorable cows and rugged cowboys that make a gal's heart sing. Her basset hound Charlie is simply adorable - I'm sure Sumatra would have a field day (ha ha) with him! The stories are well-written and openly describe the ups, downs, and somewhat cringe factor side of ranching. Her photos breathe life with their images of sweeping plains, ice coated grasses and the remodel projects of site buildings.

Reading her stories remind me of a childhood obsession with all things farm life. I read the Little House novels many times, even got to visit Laura Ingalls Wilder's home in the middle of Kansas. The Young Riders - remember that one? - was filled with all the horses, cowboys and prairie dust a young girl could want. How could I have forgotten that love for huge open skies, wild winds, and a life free of paved roads and emergency sirens?

Don't get me wrong - city life has the joys of cafe's (where would I be without Benetti's) and stores merely minutes away. I can't help thinking, though, that trading those things in for a house in the middle of nowhere wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Who knows - it could happen, right? I'll keep thinking and dreaming about this one.

No comments: