Sunday, April 18, 2010

Family Yard Work Day

While I love owning my own home, there are times when I find it a bit overwhelming. This is especially true in the springtime - I tend to forget how large my yard is until I begin clearing out brush and prepping my garden patches. Its difficult for me to ask for help with things, but God's blessed me with an amazingly handy brother in law who's ready and willing to help out if I ask.

So yesterday my lovely sis, her handy husband, and my adorable niece and nephew arrived with tools (and food!) in hand to help me complete a long list of projects. Rach is always telling me I need to take photos of the work I've done in the yard - photo taking isn't something I'm drawn to - and she's right. I can barely remember how horridly overgrown the 'back 40' was when I purchased my home 3.5 years ago - I do, however, remember getting poison ivy every weekend that first year.

The barn was in desperate need of a fresh coat of paint, and it looks so beautiful in its bright white! Jesse also installed guttering and a rain barrel (fantastic way to save money and water thirsty plants!). The compost bin behind the barn served to fill six 6x3 raised beds and the bases of two cattle panels. There's a second bin on the other side of the barn that's already working so I'll have material for next year. The logs stacked near the barn are from some tree trimming my brother was able to complete for me.

Here's the cattle panels - I find these fascinating. The Bowman's use them in their yard for vine vegetables, and Rach also suggested growing lettuces and greens below the arch (since they'll get a bit of shade). I'm planning to use these for green beans, peas, and cucumbers this year - should keep the pup from snacking too! The raised beds will house tomatoes, peppers, squash, onions, cabbages, and who knows what else.

I've used the overabundance of leaves from my 10+ trees to surround the raised beds - hopefully that will minimize the weeding and help retain some moisture in the soil through the heat of summer. Miss Sumatra was sorry to see them leave their former residence on the far side of the barn - she'd created a bit of an obstacle course and loved to leap over the bags - but rolling in them brings her just as much joy.

Rach kindly provided lunch, snacks and drinks - such a blessing! Miss Ella and Mr. Roone enjoyed playing with the pup, chillin' with a movie, and some book reading over the 8-hour work day. I'm so grateful for the help my family was able to provide and thrilled to be well prepared for spring planting!

3 comments:

Heather Edwards said...

LOVE THE GARDEN!! We're in the process of setting up our own!! I need to talk to Jesse about that water barrel. He showed me his a couple of years ago and my garage gutter is next to my garden. I want to do the same thing you've done! Jim spent two hours tonight tilling the soil so we can set up our beds this week. So excited! Don't you love gardening? (without the poison ivy...)

Julie, Creative Little House said...

Reba...its just wonderful! I'm so excited to see and hear about how well your garden does this year!

Reba said...

Heather - definitely talk to Jess re. water barrels! Since you already have the guttering in place it should be pretty simple to install one. Can't wait to hear how your garden turns out!

Dratted poison ivy got me this weekend - like a fool I didn't wear long sleeves . . .