Monday, April 5, 2010

First Spring Project: Raised Herb Bed

Winter 2009 gave me plenty of planning time for this year's garden projects - I can't remember the last time we had this much snow!


My brother-in-law is so great about helping me with yard projects that are just too much for me to handle. Last spring he replaced the old wooden fencing in the front of my yard with lovely new panels. The wood was still in fairly good shape, so he stored in near the back of my yard for future use.

Last week I annoyed my neighbors by pounding apart the slats from the back supports. Two hours and one headache later I had a pile of board that were nail-free and ready for reuse. Each is 6 feet long, so by cutting one in half I have 2 sides for 1 raised bed. Lovely!

In just over two hours I had a bed ready to go, filled with soil and laid out for herbs. Some can be planted this early, but others will have to wait until May. So far I have garlic, basil, Italian parsley, and chives enjoying the fine spring weather. Later this month I'll add dill, rosemary, thyme and cilantro/coriander to the box. Looking forward to adding these fresh flavors to my summer meals.

None to worry, I have many a plan rolling about in my head for all the rest of the boards!

No comments: