Sunday, April 18, 2010

International Food Tour

There are a great many good things about owning my home, and last Friday night I got to experience one of them. Every six weeks or so I invite a few ladies over for a good homecooked meal and encouraging conversation. I must confess to an ulterior motive - I love to cook and this is a fantastic opportunity to try out new recipes on willing guinea pigs!

As the lovely Tylena and I discussed menu options, I knew I wanted to make tiramisu. For those unfamiliar with this most delectable of desserts - ah, how can I best describe? It's layers of mascarpone cheese (Italian sweet cheese) custard and ladyfingers (a vanilla cookie) soaked in espresso. A little goes a long way, and its such a rich treat I have to be certain not to overindulge! I'm pleased to report that my first attempt at this lovely recipe was rated a success by those in attendance.

Tylena also requested that I make a Greek Salad. Now, I'd never heard of such a thing, so I went to my number one go-to place for recipes: foodnetwork.com. I absolutely love their site and its never failed to reveal easy to understand and flavorful recipes (Alton Brown - need I say more?). Ina Garten's recipe proved easy to assemble, and an amazing blend of flavors and colors. If you are looking for a salad that's non-lettuce based, you simply must try this one!

Ty rounded out the meal with a lovely roast chicken, mac and cheese, and rolls. Our international tour of foods set the stage for a grand evening of conversation and laughter.

I'm already planning for next time - roasted banana ice cream with peanut butter sauce, anyone?

No comments: