Friday, April 9, 2010

Monster Blood Tattoo

Every now and then those "recommended" links actually work.

I was browsing through Amazon a few weeks ago (looking at Final Fantasy games for my Wii, truth be told), when I saw a link for a book series called "Monster Blood Tattoo". Now if that title's not intriguing, I don't know what is!

My local library had the first book in the series, Foundling, ready for me to pick up within a couple days - took me about a day to read through it. D.M. Cornish created quite the extraordinary world with this series! Its a world where monsters are quite real and humans have their bodies surgically altered to better fight them. If you are lucky enough to defeat a monster, you have its image tattooed onto your body in that unfortunate creatures blood.

Rossamund, hero of these saga, is an orphan boy with a girl's name. Hints are laced throughout the story that there is more to Rossamund than he knows, and I'm certain those things will be explored in future books. He's quite the believable character, even his bumbling comes across as honest errors made by a boy who had never been exposed to the outside world.

If you like fantastical fiction, you'll find this selection an easy enjoyable read.

No comments: